The Reinsurance Department of FMH traces its roots to 1915. We have been assuming risk from other companies on both a direct basis and through reinsurance intermediaries continuously ever since. Our assumed portfolio is mainly short tail and includes county mutuals, regional carriers throughout the United States, crop, and certain specialty lines. The department also has responsibility for purchasing reinsurance for FMH and its subsidiaries. We are committed to providing excellent service along with financial strength and stability.
Securing Success For Over A Century
Benefits of Insuring with FMH
Financial Strength & Stability
- Serving policyholders and paying claims continuously since 1893
- Conservative NWP-to-Surplus ratio
- Long history of profitability and conservative management
- Reinsurance programs tailored specifically to each company's needs
- Rate studies
- Comprehensive financial and annual statement analysis
- Personal visits
- Educational meetings and seminars
- Catastrophe exposure analysis
- Direct reinsurer for county mutual in four Midwestern states
- National reinsurer in the broker market
- Crop reinsurer where not written on a primary basis
- Small to medium-sized regional property accounts
A.M. Best Rating: A- (Excellent)We have been securing the success of America’s farmers since 1893, creating a strong tradition that has earned us an ‘A-’ (Excellent) rating from A.M. Best. Farmers Mutual Hail is expected to benefit from the expanded geographic footprint and product diversification gained from the JDIC acquisition. This improved spread of risk is a key component of FMH's revised underwriting strategy, which is expected to reduce the volatility of underwriting results experienced in recent years. The financial stability of FMH stands strong and is ready to deliver in time of need. Trust in the financial strength and stability of Farmers Mutual Hail.
Our PhilosophyFMH is a small reinsurer located in rural America, but just like the companies we service, we don't need to be large to be successful. FMH, like many of our clients, has been in business for over 100 years. Because we are a small company with a long and rich rural history, we understand the needs of our clients and how they differ from larger companies. We're a tightly-knit, family-friendly group; we even invite the families of our clients to our events.
Our ApproachWe approach our business on a person-to-person level. We support our clients' business strategies by understanding their risk appetite and by providing individual reinsurance solutions. Our combination of underwriting excellence, strong balance sheet and reliable claims-paying practices provide excellent reinsurance value for the companies who do business with us. We are steadfast about maintaining our underwriting focus, understanding our clients' challenges and objectives, and providing fast, excellent and competitively-priced solutions. Our history reflects our continued commitment to our clients through both direct and broker markets.
- Becky Deters, Home Farmers Mutual
- Excess of Loss
- Property Per Risk Excess of Loss
- Property Aggregate Excess of Loss
- Property Catastrophe Excess of Loss
- Liability Products
- Equipment Breakdown
- Service Line
"FMH gives us independence, and allows us to do business as we see fit. However, they're all-in to assist our mutual if need be."
Jim Owens, Tama County Mutual