Notice of Insurance Information PracticesYour Privacy Is Our Concern:
When you apply for insurance, you disclose a certain amount of information about yourself to us. The collection, use, and disclosure of such information is regulated by law. Therefore, it is the policy of Farmers Mutual Hail Insurance Company of Iowa to:
- Collect only information necessary or relevant to our business.
- Make a reasonable effort to ensure that information we act upon is accurate, relevant, timely, and complete.
- Make personal information available externally only to regulatory or other government authorities or as otherwise permitted by law.
- Limit employees
- Access to those who need it and are trained in the proper handling of personal information.
What kind of information do we collect about you and from whom?
We get all of our information directly from you. The application you complete, as well as any additional information you provide, gives us most of the information we need to know. Sometimes we may contact you by phone or mail to obtain additional information.
What do we do with the information collected about you?
Information collected about you and retained by us, will be kept in our policy records. We review the information in evaluating your request for insurance coverage.
How do we protect the confidentiality of information about you?
Farmers Mutual Hail Insurance Company of Iowa maintains appropriate security standards and procedures to prevent unauthorized access to your information in whatever medium it is stored. We limit employee access to personally identifiable information to those with a business reason for knowing such information. Farmers Mutual Hail Insurance Company of Iowa also believes in educating our employees so that they will understand the importance of confidentiality of personal information and in taking appropriate measures to enforce employee privacy responsibilities.
To whom do we disclose information about you?
We will not disclose information about you to others unless the disclosure is necessary to conduct our business. By law, we are also permitted to share information about you without prior permission under certain circumstances to certain persons and organizations such as:
- Your agent or broker.
- Parties who perform a business, professional or insurance function for our company, including our reinsurance companies.
- Independent claims adjuster, appraisers, investigators and attorneys who need the information to investigate, defend, or settle a claim involving you.
- Businesses that conduct scientific research, including actuarial or underwriting studies.
- Insurance support organizations that are established to collect information for the purpose of detecting and preventing insurance crimes of fraudulent claims.
- Insurance regulatory agencies in connection with the regulation of our business.
- Law enforcement or other governmental authorities to protect our legal interest or in cases of suspected fraud or illegal activities.
- Authorized persons as ordered by a subpoena, warrant, or other court order, or as required by law.
- Certificate holders or policyholders, for the purpose of providing information regarding the status of an insurance transaction.
Should you cease to be one of our policyholders it is our policy to archive your information for a period of seven (7) years.
How can you find out about information we have about you?
You have the right to know what kind of information we keep in our files about you, to have reasonable access to it, and receive a copy. Write to us if you have questions about information you would like to receive. Provide your complete name, address, type of policy, and policy number that was issued or applied for with us.
Within thirty business days of receipt of your request, we will inform you in writing of the nature and substance of locatable and retrievable recorded personal information about you in our files. You may review this information in person or receive a copy at a reasonable charge.
After you have reviewed your personal information in our file, you may write to us if you believe it should be corrected, amended, or deleted. Tell us what you think is wrong and why. We will consider your request and within thirty (30) business days, either change our files, or tell you that we did not and the reason. If we do not make changes, you will have the right to insert a concise statement in our file containing what you believe to be the correct, relevant or fair information and explaining why you believe the information on file to be improper.
6785 Westown Parkway
West Des Moines, Iowa 50266
To Farmers Mutual Hail Insurance Company of Iowa Policyholders
We value you as a customer and respect your right to privacy. We know that you purchase our products because you trust us to stand behind our promises.