Farm & Ranch Insurance Q&A

Where is FMH Farm and Ranch insurance offered?

Coverage is currently offered in the state of Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.


What is considered a "peril?"

The cause of a possible loss, like fire or thunderstorms.


How do FMH Farm and Ranch policies fit with my crop insurance policies?

Using the FMH Cloud discount, you can bundle your farm and ranch coverage with your FMH crop insurance policies to receive discounts on your premium.


Are FMH Farm and Ranch policies flexible?

We know that every farm is different. That's why our Farm and Ranch agents can work with you to tailor a custom insurance package to cover everything from your vintage cars to your farm's outbuildings.


What are some factors that affect auto insurance prices?

  What coverages you buy

  What car you drive

  How much you drive

  Your age and gender

  Your driving record

  Your credit history


What discounts are available for my auto insurance?

  Good student discount

  Multiple auto discount

  Good driving discount


What do I do if I get in an accident?

Please contact either the P&C Department at 800-342-4403, or fill out a form on the website to file a claim. Please have all information available while filing a claim, including the contact information for the individuals involved in the accident and notes about the time and location of the accident. Once you have filed your claim, an FMH P&C adjuster will contact you within one day to discuss the next steps of the process and your repair options.


Can other people drive my vehicle?

Other people may drive your vehicle with your permission and be covered under our auto policies. However, if they are regular drivers of your vehicle, they must be added to the policy.


How long do I have to file my claim?

Please file your auto claim with us as soon as possible. Please provide the date, time and location of the accident, as well as the relevant contact information of the individuals involved.


How long does it take to receive payment?

Payment is usually issued within 24 hours after you and your adjuster have agreed on repairs.  For more complex accidents or total loss scenarios, payment time may vary.


What should I do if my home or property is damaged?

If your home or property suffers damage, immediately contact your agent. If you can, you should then protect your property from further damage. You also must preserve the damaged area to help your FMH adjuster assess claims.






Connect With Us

Toll free: 800-247-5248

Help Desk

Phone: 800-532-1581